Dumpling's Lilypie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Baby Zee's Lilypie

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, September 3, 2012

On a blogging maternity break

It's been a little over two months since I gave birth to Baby Zee... and also two months since my last blog post. There are so many things I want to write about  but I've been having a challenging recovery from pregnancy...

Baby Zee is 10 weeks old, and I've been sick (we're talking 40-degree fevers, joint pains, headaches) 7 times already - which means I've been sick almost every week! I've been to 3 doctors then on my 7th fever, I heard about Dr. Patricia Kho, who is an internationally-certified lactation consultant. Turns out, I have a recurring case of mastitis. Mastitis is a breast infection that causes swelling and plugs the milk ducts. It's still safe to breastfeed (in fact, it is encouraged) but momma suffers a LOT. It is really, really painful. I had to undergo an uncomfortable breast ultrasound to make sure that the lumps are not something more serious than clumped up milk. Then Dr. Kho gave me antibiotics to fight the recurring infection. 

Then a few days after recovering from my fever, my little dumpling gets sick. He caught a flu bug in school and we are now nursing a 39-degree fever, a cough and a cold. And to make matters worse, I caught his virus, too! Baby Zee is now under isolation in her room while Dumpling and I are fighting this bug. I miss holding my baby girl! We can't go near her because the doctor said what we have is very contagious. The only good thing about this is Dumpling and I get to spend a lot of quality time. But still, it's quite a challenge to take care of a sick, feisty toddler when you're sick yourself.

So please pray for me and my little boy that we get better soon! I promise to write again as soon as we are both back to fighting form - I have so much to tell you!

In the meantime, I'd like to share with you this video clip from the movie "Love Affair". I love, love, love this song. I used to sing this to K when he was Z's age. And now that he's on sick bay, I've been singing this to him again to help him sleep and help him forget about his clogged nose and persistent cough...



Just a quick note to my co-parents: Please, please, please keep your children at home when they are sick, even if it's just a mild cold. Putting other kids at risk is totally not cool. Let's spread love, not germs :)

3 comments:

  1. Get some rest Mommy! Oh I know how painful it is. Hope you and the kids will be okay, it's really flu season here so take vitamins and more fruits I guess.

    Is it ok to take antibiotics when breastfeeding?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Badet! Thanks for visiting my blog :) Yes, there are certain antibiotics that's safe to take when breastfeeding. I've been taking Clindamycin :)

    No rest for the weary... now my little girl has the bug! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so right! parents should be more responsible and NOT bring their kids to school when they are sick. so inconsiderate of them just because they want to save on tuition! nuf' said! :)

    on a much lighter note, go, go, go for breastfeeding. your kids are so lucky they have a persistent mom who only wants what's best :)

    ReplyDelete