Dumpling's Lilypie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Baby Zee's Lilypie

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, May 21, 2012

Making A (Hospital Bag) List & Checking It Twice!

I was shocked when I realized that I'm on my 35th week of pregnancy! I'm going under the knife in less than a month! Looks like it's time to start packing for the big day (I've been trying to put it off as long as I can because my huge pregnant ass is just too lazy!)

With Dumpling, I only had to pack a few items because he spent the whole time in the nursery of Makati Medical City. But now I'm giving birth in a different hospital with a strict rooming-in policy so I have to be prepared! 

Here is my list (mostly based from my first birthing experience and the lists of Topaz Mommy and Manila Mommy):

For Yummy Mummy:
1) Extra Pillows and Blanket

2) Nightgown with front opening (easier to breastfeed!)

3) Nursing Bra - I got mine from Marks & Spencer and H&M




4) Disposable Cotton Underwear - I got this from Watsons - they have good ones that feel like real underwear! Why disposable? This saves you from having to wash bloody underwear in the hospital (and hanging it on the bathroom for your guests to see!)




5) Cotton Underwear - You can use this when major bleeding has subsided

6) Abdominal Binder - Better to bring your own so the hospital won't charge you an arm and a leg for it! Must have for yummy mummies undergoing C-section.

7) Maternity Pads/Adult Diaper - Better to bring your own so the hospital won't charge you an arm and a leg for it! I use Modess Overnights since it has wings which I prefer.

8) Underpads - This like a big cotton pad which they place under your butt so you won't stain the hospital bed with blood. Better to bring your own so the hospital won't charge you an arm and a leg for it (I think they charge P50/piece! You can buy an 8pc pack for P145.75 in the supermarket!)




9) Breastpads and Breast gel - I use Lansinoh and Medela

10) Nursing Cover - lest you welcome your guests with a surprise peep show!

11) Slippers

12) Lipbalm and Mints

13) Glasses/Contact Lens/Contact Lens Solution

14) Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, face wash, shampoo, bath wash/soap, bath towel, etc)

15) Liquid Hand Wash - I prefer this to regular bar soap because I find it more hygienic.

16) Change of clothes/ Going home outfit

17) Breastpump - I used this when I gave birth to Dumpling to relieve engorgement. I still fed him directly but the nurses gave the expressed milk via cup feeding. Better to just bring yours if you have one anyway because MMC charged P100 per use of their industrial breastpump.

18) Breastfeeding Pillow/Boppy Pillow (optional)



15) Kidney basin (if you have)

16) Ear thermometer with Lens Filters - the nurses change the lens filter after every use. They take your temperature every 3 hours. It's P10/filter. You do the math!

For the little one:
1) 1 pack of newborn diaper - Again, bring your own so the hospital won't charge you

2) 4 Tie-sides/Kimono sets

3) 4 pairs of mittens (the ones you tie up, not the garterized ones which come off easily) and booties/socks

4) 2 receiving blankets

5) 1 Baby Wash

6) 1 Baby Towel

7) Burp Pads or Lampin

8) Baby Wipes

9) 4 Frogsuits/Footsie Pajamas - we stayed at St. Lukes BGC and it was sooo cold! 

10) Going home outfit

For Daddy:
1) Pillow and Blanket
2) Toiletries
3) Change of Clothes
4) Bath Towel
5) Slippers

Others:
1) Camera with chargers and extra memory cards - make sure your batteries are fully charged before going to the hospital

2) Checkbook & Cash - some doctors only accept cash payment so check on this before the big day so you'll know how much to bring

3) 1 Gallon of Water + Paper/Plastic Cups

4) Paper Plates, plastic spoon and fork

4) Alcohol/Hand Sanitizer

5) Cotton - remember, each and every cotton ball the hospital uses on you and your baby will be charged!

6) 2 Pens - you will be filling up a LOT of forms!

7) Baby Book/Memory Book 

8) Phone chargers

Documents:
1) Philhealth
    - Philhealth ID
    - Form 1
    - MDR (Member Data Record)
    - Contribution Certificate

2) Marriage Contract

3) Birth Certificate of Mum and Dad

4) Doctor's Admission Slip

5) Mother's Information Sheet - different nurses, doctors, residents will be asking for THE SAME information. Just hand this over so they'll leave you in peace!

6) La Maze Certificate (if normal delivery and you want daddy in the birthing room)

7) Birth Certificate Cheat Sheet

Hope this helps other yummy mummies preparing for the big day, too! 
Is there something on your list that I missed out? 
Please leave me a note so I can add it on mine!

8 comments:

  1. hello there :D thank you so much for the twitter shoutout :D i'm really glad the list helped you! god bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Manila Mommy! Thank you for taking time to leave me a note :) Yup, your list helped me A LOT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks for this post. this list will really come in handy the next time I have a baby again. seems like you are also all settled. good luck! we can't wait to meet shobe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hopefully, i didn't forget anything :) i'll update this also when we come back from the hospital. less than two weeks to go!!!!! :)

      Delete
  4. Hello there! Thank you so much for this post, this will really help me esp. I'm a first time mom and I'll give birth at the MMC as well on October. Got a question (mostly dumb since I have no idea at all what I need to prepare), do we need to bring baby clothes? Aren't this provided by the hospital? Also, why is a baby wash and towel needed? Will they give baby a bath after being born? Sorry for the stupid questions, and thanks in advance!

    - SheLo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SheLo! No such thing as stupid questions!! I was clueless during my first pregnancy - I didn't even know what an underpad was!

      Regarding the baby clothes, it depends if you'll be rooming-in the baby or leaving the baby in the nursery. If you room the baby in then you'll need to bring baby clothes, baby wash and a towel. If you'll leave the baby in the nursery, then you just have to bring the going-home clothes :) Baby wash I suggest you bring so that they won't charge you :) And yes, they will give your baby a bath. You can also ask to be there when they do so you can learn!

      Congratulations on your baby!!!!

      Delete
  5. this is great! i'm on my 36th week of pregnancy and will be preparing my hospital bag now :) by the way, where or what section should i look for the underpad? and is it more comfy to use a maternity pad rather than a adult diaper? is there any updates on the list? :) thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations, Mauee! Is it a boy or a girl? :) Underpads are under the diaper section. I prefer the maternity pads to the adult diaper, easier to manage when you pee. No additions to the list :) Where are you giving birth?

      Delete